Report: Jaguar Land Rover working on hydrogen fuel-cell SUV
Jaguar Land Rover may shift its zero-emission vehicle strategy somewhat if a hydrogen fuel-cell SUV reportedly under development has any chance of making it to production.
The automaker will receive UK government funding to develop a prototype called "ZEUS," for "zero and low-emissions vehicles in urban society," as part of a stimulus program for the auto industry focusing on green technology, reported Auto Express.
The project will deliver a prototype fuel-cell SUV with "Jaguar Land Rover attributes, such as such as long range, quick refill, towing, off road capabilities and low temperature performance," according to a press release from the UK Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy.
The fuel-cell SUV is one of 10 projects from multiple automakers and suppliers being funded under the 73.5 million British pound ($90.2 million) stimulus program. Jaguar Land Rover also received funding for a second project to develop power electronics for future battery-electric vehicles.
It's unclear if ZEUS will lead to a production Jaguar or Land Rover hydrogen model. The automaker hadn't previously (at least in the recent past) been involved in fuel-cell vehicles.
2020 Land Rover Defender
Also unclear is how this might impact the battery-electric Jaguar and Land Rover (potentially dubbed "Road Rover") SUVs that are reportedly also in the works.
Jaguar Land Rover is also working on a platform for urban mobility—something that might be put to use by parent company Tata.
BMW last year agreed on the sharing of EV-related propulsion components with Jaguar Land Rover. The German automaker, in turn, has an agreement with Toyota to supply components for its own limited-production fuel-cell model, based on the X5 SUV.
Meanwhile, work continues on the next-generation Jaguar XJ sedan, expected to arrive on the market in 2021 with a battery-electric powertrain.
More on this: 105 stories
- Jaguar Land Rover Pivotal: Jaguar Land Rover launches premium car subscription service Pivotal, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender diesel sold out
- Jaguar Land Rover doubles down on subscription service
- Jaguar Land Rover launches new vehicle subscription service
- Twisted's $250,000 Land Rover Defender LT1 V8 Restomod Coming To The U.S.
- JLR Launches 'Pivotal' Premium Car Subscription Service
- Jaguar Land Rover taps into car subscription services with Pivotal
- Jaguar Land Rover targets mobility market with car subscription scheme
- JLR launches Pivotal premium car subscription service
- Ineos Grenadier revealed as rugged off-roader for 2021
- Ineos reveals new 'no-nonsense' off-roader and takes aim at Land Rover Defender
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top ready to work
- New Ineos Grenadier Wants To Take Over From Where The Classic Defender Left Off
- Old-school Ineos Grenadier is British billionaire's brand new off-road SUV brand
- Jaguar Land Rover to develop fuel cell-electric SUV
- 2020 Lincoln Corsair revisited, Porsche Taycan rear-drive dream, Nissan Ariya set for launch: What's New @ The Car Connection
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model arrives
- Hard Top name returns for commercial Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV: JLR reveals 2021 Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender Hard Top Is Fit For Commercial Use
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model detailed
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top van version revealed
- Not a bakkie: new Land Rover Defender 'Hard Top' workhorse revealed…
- Land Rover Defender range grows with new commercial model
- New Land Rover Defender Hard Top 2021 detailed: Could this SUV workhorse replace your Toyota HiLux dual-cab ute?