Land Rover Defender Hard Top ready to work
Land Rover has released pictures of a new commercial version of its new Defender 90 and long wheelbase Defender 110 Hard Top.
Created to appeal for farmers and tradies who regularly go off-road but don’t want to trade creature comforts, the new Toyota HiLux rival revives its Hard Top name from the early Series 1 Land Rovers of the 1950s that were originally offered with an optional hard top canopy.
Developed by Jaguar Land Rover Special Vehicle Operations, the commercial Defender is offered with independent coil-sprung suspension on the shorter Defender 90 and adjustable air suspension on the larger 110.
Land Rover has yet to release payloads s for the commercial version of its Defender but says its 4×4 offers three times the stiffness of the next body-on-frame pick-up or SUV.
Without modifications, the Defenders can also wade up to 900mm and tow up to 3500kg.
Inside, the commercial Landie doesn’t skimp on any tech compared to the regular passenger-orientated Defender with the 10-inch Pivi Pro touchscreen carried over.
Other tech like the ClearSight HD rear view mirror, that uses cameras to project an unobstructed view of the road behind, will also be offered.
An advanced tow assist will also be available that allows the driver to reverse their Defender and trailer using a rotary controller in the centre of the car, assisted by a 3D surround camera to help negotiate tricky manoeuvres.
Thanks to the Defender’s internet connectivity, businesses running the new Defender in the future will be able to check their vehicle’s location, fuel level and journey history remotely via Land Rover’s Smartphone app.
Another useful option is since the 90 and 110 sacrifice a second row set of seating SVO has developed a new third central jump seat in front.
In the UK the Defender 90 Hard Top is set to be priced from around £42,000 ($A75,000) when it arrives later this year.
More on this: 10 stories
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial variant goes on sale
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial on sale now
- WATCH | Land Rover's Defender goes off-road - wading through water and scaling inclines
- 2020 Land Rover Defender Hard Top commercial model arrives
- Hard Top name returns for commercial Land Rover
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV: JLR reveals 2021 Land Rover Defender Hard Top SUV, Auto News, ET Auto
- New Land Rover Defender Hard Top Is Fit For Commercial Use
- Land Rover Defender Hard Top van version revealed
- Land Rover Defender range grows with new commercial model
- New Land Rover Defender Hard Top 2021 detailed: Could this SUV workhorse replace your Toyota HiLux dual-cab ute?