Land Rover Defender 90 launch delayed by COVID-19
Land Rover has quietly pushed back the launch of the new Defender 90, the smaller, three-door version of the rugged off-road vehicle.
This notice appears in small print on Land Rover's consumer website: "Defender 90 production and first customer deliveries have been delayed as a result COVID-19 related supply chain constraints. Please contact your local retailer to place an order for Defender 90 and timing of deliveries."
The Defender 90 "is not available as a Model Year 2020. It will be launched as a Model Year 2021, expected to be in market early 2021," Land Rover spokesman Joseph Stauble told Automotive News in an email. That's a delay of four to six months from original launch plans.
Jaguar Land Rover's plant in Nitra, Slovakia, which builds Defenders for all of the company's global markets, is running on just one shift and is working to fill a backlog of more than 20,000 sold Defender orders. The plant also builds the Land Rover Discovery.
It's not clear how plentiful the Defender 90 will be next year. Land Rover is planning 500 First Edition launch models.
JLR has not said when it will add shifts to the Nitra plant. Only the five-door Defender 110 is available now, but those models are in short supply as dealers deliver them to customers who have been waiting more than a year. Several 110s are listed on eBay Motors for over sticker price.
More on this: 77 stories
- JLR Denied Bid to Trademark Defender's Shape
- Land Rover Loses Defender Trademark Suit to Ineos
- Court says Land Rover shape can't be trademarked
- Land Rover loses trademark case over Defender's shape, Ineos Grenadier
- Land Rover Defender shape 'not iconic enough' to stop Ineos Grenadier in its tracks
- Court rules in Ineos' favour after Land Rover lodges design complaint against new Grenadier
- Jaguar Land Rover Loses Trademark Battle Over The Original Defender In The UK
- Jaguar Land Rover loses trademark bid for Defender design
- Jaguar Land Rover loses appeal over registering Land Rover shapes for Defender
- Jaguar Land Rover loses court battle over Defender trademark
- Land Rover Defender 90 US launch delayed until 2021
- Land Rover Delays Defender 90 Until 2021 Due To COVID-Induced Production Issues
- Land Rover Defender delays mount due to coronavirus-related production issues
- Land Rover Defender 90 orders delayed due to impact of COVID-19
- Land Rover delays Defender 90 launch due to Covid-19
- 2022 Land Rover Defender V-8 spy shots
- Tesla Batteries Are Getting Even Better
- SPY PICS: Land Rover Defender V8 hits the 'Ring
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nurburgring
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nürburgring
- 2020 Land Rover Defender will use Goodyear tyres Motor Verso
- There's a V8 Land Rover Defender Coming, And It Might Be BMW-Powered: Report
- 2021 Land Rover Defender V8 Nabbed Doing The Rounds At The 'Ring
- First drive review: Land Rover Defender 110
- Twisted electric Land Rover Defender conversion headed to the US