New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nürburgring
Although not the natural habitat for the rugged 4x4, it suggests that extensive chassis retuning is required to ensure the Defender can handle the additional power.
Previous shots showed an undisguised Defender driving on the roads outside Land Rover’s research and development facility in Gaydon, Warwickshire, sporting the ‘Prototype Vehicle’ stickers reserved for testing mules. They marked the first official sighting of a V8 variant, which was rumoured for some time and hinted at by bosses.
While no changes were visible at the front, a rear view revealed a quad exhaust system – used by Jaguar Land Rover only in V8-powered variants. On the Nürburgring prototype we can now see red brake callipers, again an indication of the performance potential.
Sources close to the firm have confirmed the project’s existence, but the official JLR response is: “We are unable to comment on the specific nature of these [technology development] programmes.”
Autocar obtained registration data for the car pictured that shows it has a 4999cc petrol engine, suggesting it’s powered by the ‘AJ’ 5.0-litre supercharged V8 used in the Range Rover Sport SVR and Range Rover Velar SVAutobiography.
More on this: 77 stories
- JLR Denied Bid to Trademark Defender's Shape
- Land Rover Loses Defender Trademark Suit to Ineos
- Court says Land Rover shape can't be trademarked
- Land Rover loses trademark case over Defender's shape, Ineos Grenadier
- Land Rover Defender shape 'not iconic enough' to stop Ineos Grenadier in its tracks
- Court rules in Ineos' favour after Land Rover lodges design complaint against new Grenadier
- Jaguar Land Rover Loses Trademark Battle Over The Original Defender In The UK
- Jaguar Land Rover loses trademark bid for Defender design
- Jaguar Land Rover loses appeal over registering Land Rover shapes for Defender
- Jaguar Land Rover loses court battle over Defender trademark
- Land Rover Defender 90 US launch delayed until 2021
- Land Rover Delays Defender 90 Until 2021 Due To COVID-Induced Production Issues
- Land Rover Defender delays mount due to coronavirus-related production issues
- Land Rover Defender 90 orders delayed due to impact of COVID-19
- Land Rover delays Defender 90 launch due to Covid-19
- 2022 Land Rover Defender V-8 spy shots
- Tesla Batteries Are Getting Even Better
- SPY PICS: Land Rover Defender V8 hits the 'Ring
- Land Rover Defender 90 launch delayed by COVID-19
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nurburgring
- 2020 Land Rover Defender will use Goodyear tyres Motor Verso
- There's a V8 Land Rover Defender Coming, And It Might Be BMW-Powered: Report
- 2021 Land Rover Defender V8 Nabbed Doing The Rounds At The 'Ring
- First drive review: Land Rover Defender 110
- Twisted electric Land Rover Defender conversion headed to the US