Land Rover delays Defender 90 launch due to Covid-19
Land Rover has delayed the launch of its Defender 90 by more than six months due to production delays caused by the Coronavirus pandemic.
The Defender 90 was originally due to open for orders in February before deliveries started this summer. However, the Land Rover UK website now states: “As a result of the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic to our production plants globally, Defender 90 production has been delayed. We anticipate Defender 90 will be available to order from early September 2020. Current prices are indicative only.” The Defender 90 is currently priced from £40,290.
All Defender variants for global markets are built at the brand’s plant in Nitra, Slovakia. That facility, which employs 2800 workers and has an annual capacity of 150,000 vehicles, is currently running on just one shift, with Jaguar Land Rover yet to confirm when it will resume its normal, two- or three-shift operations.
The first Defender 90s off the line are due to be First Edition launch models, priced at £55,220. While there are not yet sales figures for the new Defender, insiders have said the highly anticipated model has been incredibly well-received.
Alongside the Defender 90 and 110, the brand recently revealed the 4x4’s commercial variant, the Defender Hard Top. More variants are expected to be added to the line-up to ensure the Defender family is profitable for the SUV brand.
More on this: 77 stories
- JLR Denied Bid to Trademark Defender's Shape
- Land Rover Loses Defender Trademark Suit to Ineos
- Court says Land Rover shape can't be trademarked
- Land Rover loses trademark case over Defender's shape, Ineos Grenadier
- Land Rover Defender shape 'not iconic enough' to stop Ineos Grenadier in its tracks
- Court rules in Ineos' favour after Land Rover lodges design complaint against new Grenadier
- Jaguar Land Rover Loses Trademark Battle Over The Original Defender In The UK
- Jaguar Land Rover loses trademark bid for Defender design
- Jaguar Land Rover loses appeal over registering Land Rover shapes for Defender
- Jaguar Land Rover loses court battle over Defender trademark
- Land Rover Defender 90 US launch delayed until 2021
- Land Rover Delays Defender 90 Until 2021 Due To COVID-Induced Production Issues
- Land Rover Defender delays mount due to coronavirus-related production issues
- Land Rover Defender 90 orders delayed due to impact of COVID-19
- 2022 Land Rover Defender V-8 spy shots
- Tesla Batteries Are Getting Even Better
- SPY PICS: Land Rover Defender V8 hits the 'Ring
- Land Rover Defender 90 launch delayed by COVID-19
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nurburgring
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nürburgring
- 2020 Land Rover Defender will use Goodyear tyres Motor Verso
- There's a V8 Land Rover Defender Coming, And It Might Be BMW-Powered: Report
- 2021 Land Rover Defender V8 Nabbed Doing The Rounds At The 'Ring
- First drive review: Land Rover Defender 110
- Twisted electric Land Rover Defender conversion headed to the US