Land Rover Defender 90 orders delayed due to impact of COVID-19
Sales of Jaguar Land Rover’s (JLR) long-awaited new version of its rugged Defender 90 4x4 have been delayed until September as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Production delays resulting from the pandemic had already caused the launch of the new model to be put-back from its initially scheduled date of February and now customers are being told that orders of the smaller Defender 90 have now been delayed until September.
Prices of the Slovakia-built Defender 90 have also been put on ice, according to a statement issued on JLR’s Land Rover UK website.
While the larger Defender 110 is available to order and collect from UK retailers now, it said: “As a result of the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic to our production plants globally, Defender 90 production has been delayed.
“We anticipate Defender 90 will be available to order from early September 2020. Current prices are indicative only.”
Prices for the Defender 90 start at £40,290.
The all-new Defender is built at JLR’s manufacturing facility in Nitra, Slovakia.
Today (July 31) Autocar reported that the factory, which employs 2800 workers and has an annual capacity of 150,000 vehicles, is currently running on just one shift, with JLR yet to confirm when it will resume its normal, two- or three-shift operations.
Claiming to be Land Rover’s most capable and durable commercial vehicle ever, Hard Top versions of the Defender will feature a central front-row jump seat option to provide space for three, while Software-Over-The-Air will deliver updates without visiting a franchised car retailer.
Hard Top models will also offer a 3,500kg towing capacity with optional Advanced Tow Assist technology to effortlessly pull and manoeuvre trailers.
More on this: 77 stories
- JLR Denied Bid to Trademark Defender's Shape
- Land Rover Loses Defender Trademark Suit to Ineos
- Court says Land Rover shape can't be trademarked
- Land Rover loses trademark case over Defender's shape, Ineos Grenadier
- Land Rover Defender shape 'not iconic enough' to stop Ineos Grenadier in its tracks
- Court rules in Ineos' favour after Land Rover lodges design complaint against new Grenadier
- Jaguar Land Rover Loses Trademark Battle Over The Original Defender In The UK
- Jaguar Land Rover loses trademark bid for Defender design
- Jaguar Land Rover loses appeal over registering Land Rover shapes for Defender
- Jaguar Land Rover loses court battle over Defender trademark
- Land Rover Defender 90 US launch delayed until 2021
- Land Rover Delays Defender 90 Until 2021 Due To COVID-Induced Production Issues
- Land Rover Defender delays mount due to coronavirus-related production issues
- Land Rover delays Defender 90 launch due to Covid-19
- 2022 Land Rover Defender V-8 spy shots
- Tesla Batteries Are Getting Even Better
- SPY PICS: Land Rover Defender V8 hits the 'Ring
- Land Rover Defender 90 launch delayed by COVID-19
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nurburgring
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nürburgring
- 2020 Land Rover Defender will use Goodyear tyres Motor Verso
- There's a V8 Land Rover Defender Coming, And It Might Be BMW-Powered: Report
- 2021 Land Rover Defender V8 Nabbed Doing The Rounds At The 'Ring
- First drive review: Land Rover Defender 110
- Twisted electric Land Rover Defender conversion headed to the US