Land Rover Defender 90 US launch delayed until 2021
The 2020 Land Rover Defender has finally arrived in the U.S. to take American enthusiasts' money. But the full lineup isn't here yet.
The four-door 2020 Land Rover Defender 110 hit U.S. dealerships in June. The two-door Defender 90 will not be in U.S. dealers this fall as originally planned.
On Friday, Land Rover spokesman Joe Stauble confirmed to Motor Authority that the Defender 90 will now arrive in the U.S. in the spring of 2021 as a 2021 model.
"Due to the extremely positive reaction of customers and media to the New Defender, customer demand has been very strong. Overlaying the COVID-19 implications to build timing, we are now focusing on delivering Defender 110 customer orders. U.S. customers can work with their retailers to place orders for the 90 and anticipate an start of sale in the US of early 2021," Stauble said.
The coronavirus-related delay was first spotted by Motor1 earlier on Friday.
2022 Land Rover Defender V-8 test mule spy shots - Photo credit: S. Baldauf/SB-Medien
Land Rover's already cooking up a hotter variant of the Defender. A V-8-powered 2022 Defender was spied turning laps at the Nürburgrnig on Thursday. The prototype was powered by Jaguar Land Rover's supercharged 5.0-liter V-8, but production of that engine is set to wind down later this year. It's probable the prototype was a chassis mule and BMW's 4.4-liter twin-turbo V-8 will find its way under the Defender's hood.
Land Rover currently offers the Defender with either a 2.0-liter turbo-4 with 296 horsepower or a 3.0-liter turbo-6 with a mild-hybrid setup rated at 365 hp. The V-8 engine option is expected to up output to more than 500 hp.
Customers who aren't interested in the V-8 can buy a Defender 110 today or place an order for the 90 with deliveries to set to begin in early 2021.
More on this: 77 stories
- JLR Denied Bid to Trademark Defender's Shape
- Land Rover Loses Defender Trademark Suit to Ineos
- Court says Land Rover shape can't be trademarked
- Land Rover loses trademark case over Defender's shape, Ineos Grenadier
- Land Rover Defender shape 'not iconic enough' to stop Ineos Grenadier in its tracks
- Court rules in Ineos' favour after Land Rover lodges design complaint against new Grenadier
- Jaguar Land Rover Loses Trademark Battle Over The Original Defender In The UK
- Jaguar Land Rover loses trademark bid for Defender design
- Jaguar Land Rover loses appeal over registering Land Rover shapes for Defender
- Jaguar Land Rover loses court battle over Defender trademark
- Land Rover Delays Defender 90 Until 2021 Due To COVID-Induced Production Issues
- Land Rover Defender delays mount due to coronavirus-related production issues
- Land Rover Defender 90 orders delayed due to impact of COVID-19
- Land Rover delays Defender 90 launch due to Covid-19
- 2022 Land Rover Defender V-8 spy shots
- Tesla Batteries Are Getting Even Better
- SPY PICS: Land Rover Defender V8 hits the 'Ring
- Land Rover Defender 90 launch delayed by COVID-19
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nurburgring
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nürburgring
- 2020 Land Rover Defender will use Goodyear tyres Motor Verso
- There's a V8 Land Rover Defender Coming, And It Might Be BMW-Powered: Report
- 2021 Land Rover Defender V8 Nabbed Doing The Rounds At The 'Ring
- First drive review: Land Rover Defender 110
- Twisted electric Land Rover Defender conversion headed to the US