Land Rover Defender delays mount due to coronavirus-related production issues
Ready to plunk down some cash on a 2020 Land Rover Defender 90? You may have a while yet to wait, as deliveries of the new off-roader remain touch-and-go thanks to constraints imposed on production by the global coronavirus crisis.
As noted by Motor1, a blurb below the Defender 90 option on Land Rover's configurator reads: "Defender 90 production and first customer deliveries have been delayed as a result COVID-19 related supply chain constraints. Please contact your local retailer to place an order for Defender 90 and timing of deliveries."AdChoices
So, we did just that. According to a helpful sales associate at Land Rover Troy, the Defender 90 is no longer expected to hit dealer lots as a 2020 model. The soonest customers should expect inventory would be early next year as a 2021 model; Autoblog has reached out to Land Rover to confirm this timeline.
As we've previously reported, even the Defender 110 remains in short supply. When we published that story, the local Land Rover dealership had three 110 models in stock. Today, an inventory search returned just four of them within a 50-mile radius of metro Detroit.
Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) owner Tata Motors reported yet another quarterly loss on Friday as the coronavirus crisis has compounded sales shortfalls that were already reeling from weak demand and political uncertainty related to Brexit. Sales at JLR, which accounts for most of the company's revenue, fell over 42% during the quarter, and Tata Motors said outlook for the unit remains uncertain.
"For the rest of FY21, Jaguar Land Rover will continue to manage costs and investment spending rigorously," Tata said in its earnings announcement.
This story includes reporting from Reuters.
Land Rover Defender delays mount due to coronavirus-related production issues originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 31 Jul 2020 10:39:00 EDT. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
More on this: 77 stories
- JLR Denied Bid to Trademark Defender's Shape
- Land Rover Loses Defender Trademark Suit to Ineos
- Court says Land Rover shape can't be trademarked
- Land Rover loses trademark case over Defender's shape, Ineos Grenadier
- Land Rover Defender shape 'not iconic enough' to stop Ineos Grenadier in its tracks
- Court rules in Ineos' favour after Land Rover lodges design complaint against new Grenadier
- Jaguar Land Rover Loses Trademark Battle Over The Original Defender In The UK
- Jaguar Land Rover loses trademark bid for Defender design
- Jaguar Land Rover loses appeal over registering Land Rover shapes for Defender
- Jaguar Land Rover loses court battle over Defender trademark
- Land Rover Defender 90 US launch delayed until 2021
- Land Rover Delays Defender 90 Until 2021 Due To COVID-Induced Production Issues
- Land Rover Defender 90 orders delayed due to impact of COVID-19
- Land Rover delays Defender 90 launch due to Covid-19
- 2022 Land Rover Defender V-8 spy shots
- Tesla Batteries Are Getting Even Better
- SPY PICS: Land Rover Defender V8 hits the 'Ring
- Land Rover Defender 90 launch delayed by COVID-19
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nurburgring
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nürburgring
- 2020 Land Rover Defender will use Goodyear tyres Motor Verso
- There's a V8 Land Rover Defender Coming, And It Might Be BMW-Powered: Report
- 2021 Land Rover Defender V8 Nabbed Doing The Rounds At The 'Ring
- First drive review: Land Rover Defender 110
- Twisted electric Land Rover Defender conversion headed to the US