Land Rover Delays Defender 90 Until 2021 Due To COVID-Induced Production Issues
Land Rover has delayed the launch of the three-door Defender 90 due to the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.
Jaguar Land Rover’s factory in Nitra, Slovakia is responsible for handling production of the Defender for all global markets, but is currently running just one shift while trying to fill a backlog of more than 20,000 Defender orders.
A small notice on the Land Rover website states that “Defender 90 production and first customer deliveries have been delayed as a result COVID-19 related supply chain constraints. Please contact your local retailer to place an order for Defender 90 and timing of deliveries.”
In a statement issued to Auto News, Land Rover spokesman Joseph Stauble added to this by confirming the Defender 90 “is not available as a Model Year 2020. It will be launched as a Model Year 2021, expected to be in market early 2021.”
It seems likely that Land Rover has delayed the launch of the short-wheelbase Defender as it has far more orders for the four-door Defender 110. Stauble didn’t give a specific date as for when the Defender 90 will land.
The Defender 90 and the Defender 110 won’t be the only variants on offer. One month ago, the British car manufacturer showcased the Defender ‘Hard Top’, which is designed as a commercial variant. This model will be offered in both 90 and 110 forms but probably won’t reach the hands of customers until deliveries of the regular Defender 90 are well underway.
More on this: 77 stories
- JLR Denied Bid to Trademark Defender's Shape
- Land Rover Loses Defender Trademark Suit to Ineos
- Court says Land Rover shape can't be trademarked
- Land Rover loses trademark case over Defender's shape, Ineos Grenadier
- Land Rover Defender shape 'not iconic enough' to stop Ineos Grenadier in its tracks
- Court rules in Ineos' favour after Land Rover lodges design complaint against new Grenadier
- Jaguar Land Rover Loses Trademark Battle Over The Original Defender In The UK
- Jaguar Land Rover loses trademark bid for Defender design
- Jaguar Land Rover loses appeal over registering Land Rover shapes for Defender
- Jaguar Land Rover loses court battle over Defender trademark
- Land Rover Defender 90 US launch delayed until 2021
- Land Rover Defender delays mount due to coronavirus-related production issues
- Land Rover Defender 90 orders delayed due to impact of COVID-19
- Land Rover delays Defender 90 launch due to Covid-19
- 2022 Land Rover Defender V-8 spy shots
- Tesla Batteries Are Getting Even Better
- SPY PICS: Land Rover Defender V8 hits the 'Ring
- Land Rover Defender 90 launch delayed by COVID-19
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nurburgring
- New Land Rover Defender V8 tests at the Nürburgring
- 2020 Land Rover Defender will use Goodyear tyres Motor Verso
- There's a V8 Land Rover Defender Coming, And It Might Be BMW-Powered: Report
- 2021 Land Rover Defender V8 Nabbed Doing The Rounds At The 'Ring
- First drive review: Land Rover Defender 110
- Twisted electric Land Rover Defender conversion headed to the US